Re: Attracting visitors

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:02:31 -0800
 To:  "Paul Mennega" <paul(at)mennega.com>,
<hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>In your personal experiences, what are
>some of the best ways to start attracting users to a site.  I am not talking
>about keeping them there(the content itself should do that), but just
>getting the initial visit.

To state the obvious: register for search engines. If your site
covers a specialty, say Cardigan Welsh Corgis, this would be a huge
boon since anyone with an arcane interest turns first to search
engines. For most sites, all you really need to do is register and
there is no need to do search engine positioning tricks. But do add
META tags to your pages and make sure the TITLE and body text
succinctly capture what you want people to find.

Second: Use off-line methods. Make sure your customers have your URL.
Post it on business cards, in ads, etc. Let the press know.

Where do your desired customers go? You want to make sure your
message is there.