Re: the fine line between personal and business?

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Dec 2000 11:51:57 -0800
 To:  Steve Segarra <ssegarra(at)mitre.org>,
hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
It's an important question. You need an answer in two arenas:
Personal commitment; and practical business issues.

For the first: You need to decide. Waffling between hobby and
business means you will likely run into trouble. Running a hobby as a
business or running a business like a hobby are surefire recipes for
trouble. You need to commit one way or the other. Not today, but
sometime before you get too deep.

Regarding business issues: You need knowledge. You are making
decisions that could affect taxes or create legal issues. Some of
these could be quite serious. I suggest three avenues:

- Find friends who know about this and discuss it with them.

- If you are in the US, contact the US Small Business Association;
and contact SCORE, a volunteer organization of business execs who
help out people like you.

- Go to the non-profit Nolo press. They have many books designed for
new small business owners and their website has lots of excellent
free info. http://www.nolo.com/

Overall, if I could tell you only ONE thing it would be: Educate
yourself like crazy. You are standing at the edge of a briar patch
and if you know the way through, it is not very tricky; if you don't,
you will be in for a painful, difficult journey.
Subject: the fine line between personal and business?
Author: Steve Segarra
Date: 12/5/00 10:12 AM -0500