Re: extract text from PDFs?

by Stuart Kern <sgkern(at)sgkern.com>

 Date:  Mon, 2 Apr 2001 10:17:00 -0400
 To:  hwg-business(at)hwg.org
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Dumb question - is it possible to extract or export ASCII text
>from a PDF using Acrobat?  We have that and several PDFs and it's
>either that or retype everything.

There's a free program Postscript rendering program called
Ghostscript, available at http://www.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/. It has a
graphical viewer called Ghostview. Using Ghostview, you can extract
text from PDF files (based, I believe, on the underlying files'
rights). The program has been compiled to run on most platforms.

Stuart Kern

Stuart G. Kern, Attorney at Law            Tel. (202) 347-4715
1628 Roxanna Road, N.W.                       Fax (202) 829-1004
Washington, DC 20012                           sgkern(at)sgkern.com

Member: Pennsylvania, Maryland, and District of Columbia bars.