Re: Non-compete Clauses

by Moe Rubenzahl <moe(at)maxim-ic.com>

 Date:  Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:02:48 -0800
 To:  Janet Cady <webpage(at)evansville.net>,
"'hwg-business(at)hwg.org'" <hwg-business(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>Anyone ever dealt with non-compete clauses in signing a contract
>with a client?
>In some aspects I can understand the client requesting this, but on the other
>hand, I'm not really comfortable with the idea.

I recall a thread on another list server in which someone ran into
this after the fact -- a client wanted her to refuse work from
competitors of the client's.  The developer had apparently become
quite proficient at producing effective sites for that industry.

If the fallout of that unfortunate designer's situation is any
indication, you are lucky they are raising the issue now!! It is a
simple matter, I think, of deciding what exclusivity is worth and
telling the client. It is reasonable for them to pay something -- a
retainer, perhaps -- for the privilege.