RE: Commercial Critique Needed :)

by "Michael Gerholdt" <gerholdt(at)ait.fredonia.edu>

 Date:  Mon, 28 Sep 1998 22:26:52 -0400
 To:  "Nick Papageorge" <104061.616(at)compuserve.com>,
"*HWG-Critque" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Nick wrote:

>I've got a professional website up, might as well get some critique on it..
<snip>
>http://tecs.webjump.com

OK -

1. You've chosen to use frames; but you could, I believe, use them more
effectively by eliminating the sidebar frame and incorporating the menu into
the horizontal upper frame which takes up a lot of space but is empty other
than the WebJump logo. Or haven't you got a choice on that?

2. In general, a nice look.

3. But if you could fade in the image on the main page instead of the stark
rectangle of dark against the grey, it might look nicer.

4. I'd try to make first page more informationally based. Addressing the
person on the other end of the monitor as 'websurfer' is questionable. For
example, I use the web a fair amount, but haven't got time for 'surfing.'
You use much space on 'best viewed with' and 'best viewed at' and member of
HWG; might want to re-think that, too. Certainly I prefer not to see the
default blue border around link images when it doesn't fit the site's color
scheme.

5. Is 'services' a preferred word in BC or Canada in general over 'serves?'
This side of the border, my neighbor has a bull that services cows; but most
service-oriented companies tend to 'serve' their customers. Mechanics may
'service' a tractor or truck. This is arguable and a matter of nuance,
perhaps. (But nuance counts.)

6. 'Who We Are': So Jennifer is your inspiration! (Congrats, Jen!) Check
this page as well as others for run-on sentences. "Formed the company a
short while ago" = I'm gonna hafta change this page after a short while gets
longer. A bit too folksy to appear cleanly professional, though you sound
like nice folks!

Guess that's it. Good luck!

Michael