RE: Feed Back on compatibility

by "Peter Cutler" <pcs(at)pobox.com>

 Date:  Sat, 13 Feb 1999 09:05:52 -0500
 To:  "cyberenet" <howardsp(at)cyberenet.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Using Lynx (on win95)

Site is cannot be navigated. A quick look at the code revealed the lack of
ALT tags. Therefore Lynx shows [LINK] rather than some text to describe the
link's destination.

NS3 showed this on screen (http://www.howardsp.com/common.js)

var NS4 = (document.layers) ? 1:0;
var IE4 = (document.all) ? 1:0;
var is4x = (NS4 || IE4);
var PRE4x = (NS4 || IE4) ? 0:1;
var isNetscape = (navigator.appName == "Netscape");

NS2 crashed on 3 separate attempts to load page.

***************  tidbit found on my puter
Don't forget Navigator 2.x
If your site has to support both JavaScript-capable and
non-JavaScript-capable browsers, you may have tried to use the <SCRIPT> and
<NOSCRIPT> tags to create separate content for the non-JavaScript browsers.
And you may have noticed that Navigator 2.x does not support the <NOSCRIPT>
tag--even though it is JavaScript-capable, it displays the <NOSCRIPT>
content anyway.

In order to mask the text-only <NOSCRIPT> content from Navigator 2.x, you
must place the text-only content and the JavaScript-enhanced content in
separate files and selectively direct browsers from your main page to the
appropriate text-only or JavaScript page via a pair of separately targeted
links:

<A href="nonJSPage.html" onclick="location='JSPage.html';return false">Go to
Info Page</A>

JavaScript browsers evaluate the onClick event handler first, and thus get
sent to the JavaScript version of the page. Since the return is false,
JavaScript-capable browsers won't go on to the page listed in the anchor.
Non-JavaScript browsers ignore the JavaScript event handler entirely and
follow the normal HTML link to the non-JavaScript page.

If you wish to design for version 4+ browsers(or highly javascript
compatible) browsers, then be aware that many will not be able to view site.

My personal site is just that, personal, so I wrote and have updated it to
work with the browser I currently use. However for sites I wish to make
public, I try to ensure univeral access, which means either creating
multiple site copies(using redirects), or giving up some bells and whistles
if you wish to maintain only one set of pages.

Comments welcome, flames expected but ignored.

Peter