RE: Critique Request

by "Mike Green" <mgreen(at)iname.com>

 Date:  Sun, 24 May 1998 00:42:08 -0400
 To:  "Yosef Haas" <YosefHaas(at)CounselorNet.com>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Re: http://www.counselornet.com/dcd/

Hello Yosef,

The system I was using to visit the site was a P300II with a 33k6 modem,
running Win95 with MSIE4 in 800x600 24 bit mode.

* Entering the site was fast and easy. However, the "View of Mine" image
gives me a broken image link and some of the menu-links on the left side of
the screen seem to be "out of boundaries". With that I mean that the length
of the menu-links is wider than the background. That takes away a little of
the intended professionalism.

* I went through some of the links first because I wanted to know who or
what DCD Associates is. I couldn't find anything about that on the site.
Since DCD is your client, I don't know if they asked you (or your company)
to place this information on their site. If they didn't, I would suggest
your client to place this information online too. For example: Who are they,
since when and what do they do? This is important as people don't want to go
in business if they don't even know with who it exactly is. (Yes, we know
it's DCD... but...)

* Reading through some more pages, I found that there were plenty of "See
Fig. x" referrals. My reaction to that was: "Okay, *where* is it?". Then I
placed the mouse-pointer over the "Fig. x" and I found it was a link to the
image. Well, anyone could have found that link if only it were visible it
was a link. I thought it was just an underlined part of the text and since
it was in the same color as the text it was even less obvious to me.
Suggestion is to change the colors of those links, or include the images in
the page itself (especially after reading that much text, it began to make
me "bored" - too much of the same).

* Some of the menu links and other links were broken. Actually, allot of
them. A check on all the links would be helpful.

Now, in general my thoughts about the site is "So, so". There are some
improvements needed here and there, and the text needs to come alive some
more with some extra stimulation on the eyes. The site did give me
information about Wollastonite (An A+ on chemistry was helpful though). But
what exactly DCD is hoping to achieve with giving away this information,
except for getting people interested in Wallostonite, is unclear to me. If
it's just informing industries and people about Wallostonite, I have my
questions about it being DCD's page, or at least called "DCD Associates" and
not "The Wallostonite Site".

Maybe I have missed some information that should have given me the actual
purpose of the site. E.g., while you're reading this you're almost trying to
shout to me: "It's about........!!!" - but then my reaction will be: "Then
why wasn't that made clear to me in a more understanding manner on the
site?".

Regards,
  Mike Green