RE: http://www.magicnet.net/~rndancer/index.html

by "Mike Green" <mgreen(at)iname.com>

 Date:  Sun, 24 May 1998 01:14:17 -0400
 To:  "Craig T. Harding" <guide(at)ao.net>,
"Critique List" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Re: http://www.magicnet.net/~rndancer/index.html

> Hello fellow members,

Hello Craig, long time no see (although you might think "Who the heck are
you?").

Well, I visited the site. I got a VERY good first impression, even that you
claim it to be a quick and cheap job. Nice going on that. Since you just
need some quick facts too, I'll only give those: Using Win95 with MSIE4 in
800x600 24bit everything seems to be working and looking good. No fatal
mistakes found and yes, it does sell. Even in text-only mode I can find my
way around and everything I want to know is there.

I'm actually surprised about the simplicity but a good info on what is being
offered. If I personally had the need for it, I'd requested more info - so
it can also be expected from those who *really do*.

> Also if anyone who is an expert at this could take a look at the meta
> tags and such as I want this site to index pretty quick at specific
> locations on the search engines. This guy has 4 car, truck and bus wash
> machines that he wants to sell pretty quick.

Well, keep in mind that there are a few million more who'd like to sell
stuff ASAP. But:

The actual META tags ("<META NAME=" etc) are good. Maybe some more keywords
could help, but don't repeat and don't place too much (not more than 200) in
there. As some search engines skip the META description tag and use the
first few lines of (visible) HTML to give it a description, a good thing is
to start the visible HTML text with a descriptive possible piece of
information.

IF your client is really desperate and IF you are not too worried about
JavaScript or Frames capabilities, consider creating a non-frames and/or
non-JavaScript page consisting only of a description of the site. Why? Have
a look at Infoseek and watch some of the results: "Sorry, your browser does
not support frames" is what you can find in the descriptions. Another
"trick" is to create a couple more pages with allot of descriptive text and
meta's with just a link to the actual main page. Although I do not believe
in the effectiveness of the last two "tricks", I have seen them dozens of
times in search engines and they do seem to be working for those who've done
it.

Regards,
  Mike Green.