Re: Critiques of The Goodhue Gallery

by "karel vandenhove" <karel(at)artonline.com>

 Date:  Tue, 20 Oct 1998 10:19:07 +0200
 To:  "Craig Harding" <guide(at)ao.net>,
"Jeff Whyle" <jeff(at)hawkfan.com>,
"Critique List" <hwg-critique(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>This has nothing to do with whether or not it is distracting. The status
>line area is part of the client browser and therefore not to be used by
>the web author except as a cheap trick by kids and like.

Hi,

Why did browser developers provide (and publish) the ability to manipulate
the statusbar caption then?
The browser displays a default status on the status bar.  It is up to the
site developer to provide a better status message if there is one.  The
statusbar is certainly not only intended for navigational purposes.  You
should see it as an extention of the hint.

Of course it can be misused (by kids), but so can a lot of things.  If we
wouldn't be allowed to use anything that can be misused, we wouldn't have to
do very much.

Best regards,
Karel