FW: website

by "Elias Thienpont" <elias(at)assumptionabbey.com>

 Date:  Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:36:21 -0600
 To:  "HTML Writers Guild / Critique" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Kurt...

I have been using Adobe PageMill with good results. Of course the Hand
Coding vs. Monster WYSIWYG programs flame wars have been going on since
before the invention of the computer. You ought to check the list archives
to see the worthwhile and other information on this topic, for there are
pros and cons for each.

Still, I found PageMill a good place to start, and while I would like to
replace it with GoLive, I do not have the resources to make the change at
this time.  I would also suggest a good hand coding tool, and have just
downloaded a free copy of CuteHTML, which seems to be a very useful adjunct
to a WYSIWYG  program.  Here is why: I just got my ISP to set up my
guestbook for me. He said I could modify the colors and layout. So I
download it and open it in PageMill, but PageMill rewrote the codes, and now
it doesn't work, and I have to bug my ISP all over again to fix it. Had I
used CuteHTML, it would have shown me the raw code, and I could have at
least had control over the code.

PageMill is also quite old, and does not support newer HTML protocols, and
does not tolerate a <DOCTYPE> tag, nor does it validate well, or so I am
told, for I have had no need to bother with DOCTYPES and Validations at this
time.

I had also considered MS FrontPage on the recommendation of the computer
classes I had taken at the university. Turns out (without starting *that*
flame war again) that it does not write "tight" code. HWG has a software
mailing list, but I have not joined that one, maybe there is useful
information in there too. It would be nice to have a page that compares this
software, and with various comments on each (probably is one somewhere
around here too).

Br. Elias