RE: the resolution fact

by "Demitrius" <iam(at)demitrius.com>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Jan 1999 16:56:05 -0800
 To:  <killian(at)ilikethis.cz>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> but the design range and
> possibilities are very limited by this resolution (640x480) and when one
considers
> that less than 15% of computer owners alive use that resolution, I say
> don't worry about it when entertaining a design strategy

Uh, I don't know where you're getting your numbers, pal, but that's *not*
what I find out in the field.

My territory is Southern California, USA. As a one man website developer, I
am out in the field meeting with clients and prospects 2 to 3 times per
week. These are well educated, well financed business people. *Most* of the
machines I come into contact with are (get ready) 640 x 480 and 256 colors.
Fact.

True, the newest breed of computers are set at 800 x 600, but there are
still a huge number of screens set to the lower standard.

When I first sit down a client's computer, the very first thing I ask is,
"What screen rez and color depth are you running?"  I get back a blank stare
every time. Well okay, not *every* time. There were those 3 people who
actually knew what I was talking about. 3 people in 3 years.

Ask any tech support person out there. They'll tell you. Most computer users
don't even know about screen rez or color depth. I didn't until I started
creating HTML documents.

Then there's the matter of WebTV. Their screen is at 540! At the rate
they're expanding--and with the recent developments to their system--it
won't be long before we'll need to seriously consider that audience as well.

This is not an argument in favor of 640. But being as, apparently, so many
value your word, Killian, I wanted it to be known that my real world
experience is running contrary to yours.

No surprise.

Best,
Demitrius >I<