RE: CDS Technologies site

by "Mike Green" <mgreen(at)iname.com>

 Date:  Thu, 21 May 1998 10:08:55 -0400
 To:  "Natalie Verge" <website(at)cdscomputer.com>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Re: http://www.cdscomputer.com

Hello Natalie!

It's been a while since I've added my comments and critique to the list,
busy busy busy. But, let's answer your question:

My opinions. First of, I visited your site with a P300II Win95 machine,
800x600 24bit screen mode, a 33k6 modem (too lazy to upgrade to v.90) and
MSIE 4.01.

* It took me a while to get to your site. This is not because of your HTML
design and graphics, but I seemed to have problems getting your IP. Maybe
it'd be a good idea to ask the webmaster to check the DNS server since I'm
only a few "hops" away from ya.

* Once there, everything was blazing fast! A big A+ score there.

* I didn't get overwhelmed images and animations, which is good. But I did
get sore eyes because of the, IMO, too much red.

* After some more browsing, I found that (almost) every paragraph of text
started with a tab. I'd suggest that only the very first paragraph of a
subject should have this tab and the rest aligned to the left.

* At first, I didn't get overwhelmed with images. This is still true, but
now I'm kinda missing them too. For instance, the "Wireless Networks" page
gives me two graphics at the top - both of them are text-images, so
essentially all of that page (except the logo) is text. I was like "Hmmm...
I can do with at least a *little bit* of change here" - try adding a line
under the title-image and between different subjects, just that would make a
huge difference.

For the rest: The page is consistent - very well! It's clean of "useless"
stuff, although a wee bit could do some good. It's fast to load (with
exception of that DNS thing). And I can see the information clearly, as well
to find it. Good job!

Sincerely,
  Mike Green.