RE: alpha critique Words at Work advertising

by "Mike Green" <mgreen(at)iname.com>

 Date:  Thu, 21 May 1998 10:40:31 -0400
 To:  "WordsAtWork" <studio(at)wordsatwork.com.au>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
re: http://www.wordsatwork.com.au/ALPHA

Hello Matthew!

Here's my response to your request. I visited your site with a P300II Win95
Machine, 800x600 24 bit screen mode, MSIE 4.01 with 33K6 modem.

* The site loaded fast, and that for a site not real close to me. Good!

* The design has simplicity and elegance, is good looking. That's a neat job
there, although I learned that frames can cause some people to go "Oh no!
I'm caught in frames!". The use of colors and graphics so far is good. Easy
on the eyes.

* Whoops! I encountered the first problem. Actually, two problems. When I
click on "Our Quick Pitch", the left frame (the red one) gets a scrollbar
both vertical and horizontal. Seeing that the horizontal scroll bar
suggested that I have to scroll allot to the right to see something, I
figured that was an "Uh oh" to you. And indeed, scrolling to the right gave
me some "Cont@act us" image far to the right, not visible before one
scrolls. At the far bottom, there's an image with "Return to the main
page" - I don't think you had in mind to add a little "scroll adventure" to
the site, so I'd be sure to check that frame out.

* The second problem I encountered (as noted previously) is that the screen
changes every xx seconds. That's okay, but I can't read THAT fast. I'd say,
just keep it to those "next" and "previous" buttons already in those pages.
And btw, some of those images that were supposed to show gave me a "link
broken" image - e.g. MSIE was thinking "What image? Where?". Okay, let's
check out the rest.

* Okay, I am at the "Case Studies". I like that eye up in the left corner -
some may think it's "creepy", but it's a nice addition! Great! In this
screen, the left frame (in red) is showing correct - no scroll bars and all
the images are showing as they (probably) were designed. You need to keep in
mind that MSIE adds room for a vertical scroll bar, even if it's not there.
So the eye-image is not fully to the right edge of the frame - which might
be something you DO want. (Oh, don't think MSIE is my fav. browser though).
But why am I staring at a blank information screen (the white frame)?

* Next screen: "Clients". Allot of clients there! And all of them with an
image too. Hmm, I think that it'd be best to take your most important
clients (they all are, I know, but those who can make others think "Wow, the
served such and such?!"). Also, the "Good Guys Discount Warehouses" image is
a broken link, as well as the eye-image in the left frame. The text in that
left frame is literally against the left border of the browser, not making
it very nice to look at, but that's not such a biggie to me - I can read
what's there.

* Now I noticed something about that "eye" too. It "flickers" which takes
away a little of the professionalism you've put into the site. It also stops
after a few, which I don't know if it were the intention - if it was,
decrease the number of repeats.

* The staff page seems to be A-OK

Well, as you tell from my opinions and discoveries: IMO I think it needs a
little more work, especially in checking the HTML code. Frames have never
really been the Web Designers friend nor the surfers... (From my own
experience).

Sincerely,
   Mike Green.