Re: http://www.quantumwebdesigns.com/

by "Peter Cooper" <peter(at)bizuk.net>

 Date:  Tue, 1 Sep 1998 00:26:44 +0100
 To:  "Keath Montgomery" <KeathM(at)bcn.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> They could care less if it validates and how it was coded.   It
>is possible to develop an attractive well designed site that attracts
>thousands of visitors and be coded in a way that would be a validation
>nightmare.  Yet the perfectly validated site could be just the opposite.
>Validation actually has very little to do with the viewers satisfaction
with
>their visit to the site.  I do agree that we all should try to adhere to a
>standard and the portion of the critique that states  "your site don't
>validate"  and bashes the site for it, belongs possibly in the
HWG-langauges
>list? Personally if my site loads and behaves in the manner I had in mind
>after testing against the main stream environments I could care less how it
>validates.  I have tested my sites and validation for grins and they
usually
>do reasonably well.  I will not make myself crazy over it.    You may agree
>or disagree with this but it is just one persons opinion.  Those who have a
>programmers orientation should not condemn those with the designers
>orientation. the bottom line is will the site achieve the objective?

Thanks for agreeing Keath!

This 'debate' has brought up a point which some of you may be willing to
discuss away from this list.  'Web Media' is now becoming fairly popular,
not as popular as 'Print Media' yet, but it's catching up. Like Print Media,
Web Media started off in a technical environment. In the early days of Print
rather dull works were produced, rudimentary newspapers, early bibles, and
so forth. In this century 'Print' developed into a massive industry. Now
everything comes on print. Works of Art can now be printed straight to
paper, books full of pictures are printed, books with whizzy 'interfaces'
are now designed.. the media has changed from a technical and mainly text
medium, to a balanced medium. I feel the web is currently doing the same
(especially as the bandwidth problem gets better).

The web started off as a technical tool. It was designed as a technical
tool, and for the first couple of years, operated solely as this. With the
introduction of new formatting and imaging techniques, some in HTML, some
external, web pages have developed from pages of text, into multimedia
presentations, or at the very least, attractive well-formatted documents
(well we like to think so!). Surely, we in the HWG should be promoting HTML
and related web technologies and pushing forward the medium and writing
critique for sites from both technical and artistical standpoints. However,
If the page works fine then I (personally) think the technical side can be
forgotten totally.. For example, how many book critics write:  'The paper
density which this book was written on is too low, 100 g/m2 paper should
have been used. Also, the construction of the paper from fibre is of a low
quality'. They -dont-. We should look at the web as more of a medium and
less as a tool. Just like the print industry...

If anyone wants to pick up on this discussion in private feel free to email
me.

Regards,
Pete
pete(at)bizuk.net