RE: critique please

by "Jill George" <jzilla(at)stlnet.com>

 Date:  Thu, 18 May 2000 13:29:33 -0500
 To:  <carole(at)designs.com>
 Cc:  "Hwg-Critique(at)Mail.Hwg.Org" <hwg-critique(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

-----Original Message-----
From: Carole A. Gay [mailto:carole(at)designs.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 18, 2000 12:04 PM
To: Jill George
Cc: Hwg-Critique(at)Mail.Hwg.Org
Subject: Re: critique please

Hi Jill,

First, the mundane:  Cable modem, 17" color monitor at 1024X768, WIN98,
Netscape 4.73 and Opera 3.62.  Both browsers rendered well and had no
difficulties other than the one I mention below.

Your first problem is an error message "Could not create data file:
/usr/local/etc/Counter/data/208.56.27.207-index.html".

>>Fixed. I removed it until the domain name gets transfered.

On the history page, the statement regarding "welcome any consideration
you might give..." doesn't make much sense.  It sounds as if you want
people to be nice to the employees.  It might be better if you say
"welcome any inquiries you might have regarding the company...".

>>Thanks for that. The wording came from the original site. The customer
said he pretty much wanted that part of it to remain the same. But I changed
it too.

The only other notable, though small, problem is that the company logo
on the Home page is inconsistent with the logo on all other pages.

With regard to the coding, since you are redoing the site, you might
consider HTML 4.0 rather than 3.2.  Also, some of your alt tags are
rather brief.  The purpose is to give useful information to your
visitor, such as "image of a Semi-trailer truck" and "Less than a Load
and Truckload Services".  It helps your visually impaired visitor's
screen reader something more definitive, as well as those who use text
only browsers.

>>fixed. Thank you for pointing that out. I use Arachnophilia for my editor.
I don't know if there is a way to change it to 4.0

The site is clean and well laid out.  Information is easy to acquire and
navigation is simple.  I like the logo.  It is sharp and suitable.

Hope this helps,

Carole

>>Thank you for taking the time to look at my site. This is my first paying
job and the client is very happy with me. Again, thank you for your time.
Jill
--
Carole Gay <carole(at)designs.com>
Carole Anne Designs