Re: http://www.inscodico.com

by "Nico Morrison" <nmorrison(at)micronicos.com>

 Date:  Sun, 18 Jul 1999 22:32:58 +0100
 To:  "Susan Walsh" <SusanW(at)inscodico.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Susan,

I like the site, nice feel, good taste, but (as you said) slow to load & it
IS the rollovers.

Those big images in the main page take a long time to load.

Do you use an image file compressor such as ULead Smartsaver Pro?  Makes
much difference.

I tried SmartSaver on homesemnew2.gif and converting to .jpg took it down
to 8.3K from 12.0K, with little discernable image quality loss, IMHO.

Don't forget each rollover button has to download both versions of the
image into memory, it's like having twice as many images to download.

I'd make those large images static, zap them with a compression utility and
bobs yer uncle. Have other (small) rollover buttons for those links.

If it's still slow after zapping the file sizes, then you just have to
lessen the number of images.  My benchmark for site home pages is 30K if
if possible. That page is >120K all caused by the images.

And thanks for taking a look at http://1stdomains.co.uk  (get a .uk
domain?)

Regards,
Nico

| Nico,
|
| I think your site looks great - very professional and easy to navigate.
If