RE: Phyllis' Web Site - Please Review

by "Marion Podolski" <marion(at)podolski.com>

 Date:  Fri, 22 Oct 1999 11:34:00 -0700
 To:  "Phyllis Haynen" <phaynen(at)gte.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
http://home1.gte.net/phaynen/

Hi Phyllis,

Your website looks very fresh and attractive. I like the way you've picked
out the colours from the graphics to use in the text. I guess you keep
changing the theme, since this is a very autumny set of images. Text is
clear and readable. This is a nice personal website. :o)

I have just a couple of comments on the images. I found the page loaded
slowly, so I took a quick check of  sizes......

The leaves are 25K - I'm sure that could be reduced with a little work in
PhotoShop! Also, they wrap around and show again on the right when I have
the window open wide (1280).

The painting is 19K, and you're showing it at a lesser size than the actual
image. Ideally you would shrink the image to the size you want before you
send it over the internet. (BTW, you do have permission to use that Thomas
Kinkade picture on your site, don't you?)

The flowers and gifts banner is also rather large - 20K is a big price to
pay for something that will draw people away from your site. I would lose it
altogether, unless you have a good reason for it being there.

The whole page currently weighs in at around 80K, which is pretty big on a
slow browser! I would try and reduce that, especially for the front page of
your site.

I wasn't very keen on the muddy yellow colour that appeared as the
background before everything was fully loaded. It just didn't seem to belong
with the clear look of the rest.

All in all, I think you have a good start there. Good luck with the course!

Marion

MSIE 4.01, NN 4.51, 28k modem, 24 bit Color, 1280x1024 with Large Fonts