Re: hwg-critique-digest V1 #311

by "Roger Stenning" <roger(at)isgwds.enterprise-plc.com>

 Date:  Sat, 25 Mar 2000 19:48:02 -0000
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)mail.hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Denise -

I agree with the comments that John (maderman(at)erols.com) made; the site is
slick, fast to load, simple to navigate, and pleasing to the eye.

Like John, I found that the navbar on the left of the screen 'jumps' when
scrolling down the page, and agree that this could be down to the JavaScript
1.2 level watermark script, although this is by no means certain, as I'd
have expected the watermark to jump as well, were this the case. A little
experimentation might be in order to track the cause of this jumping.

Speaking of the watermark, it's just right; not too light, not too dark,
with the right amount of feel, to add a conservative and established feel to
the site. Nice going!

Imagery-wise, I also agree with the comments John has made regarding the
Investors In People award logo, and the Lexel graphic; both are blurred, and
require re-sampling at a higher resolution. This will, unfortunately, add to
load time. Maybe if you scan them at 150-250ppi, then compress a resulting
Jpeg a little higher than normal?

However, I did notice something that seemed a little odd; the corporate logo
(bust in a circle) appears to have a very dark splodge at first glance; on
closer examination, it's the tie that the bust is wearing. Is this
intentional, or did it slip through?

Never the less, the overall effect of the site is one of respectability and
establishment in the legal profession, with a friendly, knowledgeable air.

Congratulations - it flies!

> Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 13:51:31 -0000
> From: "denise" <denise(at)amun-ra.demon.co.uk>
> Subject: critique please
>
> Hello
>
> I've just finished and uploaded pages on
>
> http://www.raworths.co.uk
>
> a firm of solicitors.  I'd appreciate your comments about this site,
> on the technical side as well as the presentation/content.
>
> Regards
>
> Denise

Best regards,

Roger Stenning
Intelligent Web Design Services
    http://iws.n3.net/
Contact me for my PGP Public Key.

Webmaster for the Impossible Scenarios Group
    http://www.the-isg.co.uk/index.html