Re: New site

by "Craig T. Harding" <info(at)guidenet.net>

 Date:  Thu, 24 Jan 2002 16:44:20 -0500
 To:  "Mike Livsey" <mlivsey(at)qwest.com>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I know this is all off-topic, but I thought I'd throw in my two cents. For
starters, a quick look at those links and you see that the dates average 4
to 6 years old... or they're talking about the Australian Outback.

The fact is, in 2002 the Internet has grown to many orders of magnitude
since the Lynx text browser days and when many people surfed with images
off. Further, as broadband becomes more and more prevalent, fewer and fewer
will surf the net this way. Already, the majority of people on the Web buy
their machines with whatever OS is installed and tend to not even know how
to change color depth or resolution much less turn browser images off. The
thought is silly at best.

Anyone here who owns or works for a commercial ISP would laugh at the idea
that people would surf the Web or know how to surf the Web with images off.
Heck, just look at the prevalence of AOL users to start with.

With no data to back me up and not counting people with accessibility
issues, I would guess that less than 1% of people in the US surf with images
off in 2002. 75% of them are using Windows and whatever MSIE version that
came with their machine and most of those are still using the factory
setting for color depth and resolution. This guess might be based on any of
our server logs, if we look at environmental variables.

I, personally wouldn't be willing to let a client degrade a Website one drop
if it meant them losing one sale to the 99% of the visitors in order to
accommodate accessibility issues... and certainly wouldn't take into account
image-off users unless it means meeting W3C standards, which we try to do.
... just my opinion.

Craig T. Harding MS
Association of Computing Machinery - ACM
Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers - IEEE
President - GuideNet.Net
(all outbound email scanned by Norton 2002)