Re:Re: Commercial site - RGA

by "Tertius" <ecgtertius(at)sprintmail.com>

 Date:  Sat, 21 Mar 1998 18:21:27 -0600
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
 Cc:  <wilkman97(at)email.msn.com>, <mgreen(at)iname.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
On 3/21 Mike wrote:

>Hello David,

>>2. I think the � symbol is not enough for copyright reasons.....I think
you
>>have to say copyright per whatever or something along those lines but I am
>>not sure on this just a suggestion.

>As long it is � and not (C) or (c), this symbol should be sufficient as
it's
>recognized as the "Copyright" by law. That's all <g>

>Sincerely,
>   Mike Green

Mike, you may want to review the rest of the 'copyright' links from HTML,
but particularly
the following page (http://www.benedict.com/index.html) and the following
info gleaned from a couple of buttons into 'The Copyright Website'.

Proper copyright requires four elements that include the copyright symbol
and/or the term "Copyright", the year of copyright, the name of the
copyright holder, and the phrase "All Rights Reserved". The page goes on to
discuss each element and the "why's and wherefores" of the international
requirements for proper copyright notice....  In addition, I understand
notice is required for each page published--a notice solely on the home page
may not be construed to protect any of the other site pages linked from the
home page.

As far as site comments:

The RGA site has copyright notice only on the home page...

The 'How to contact us' home page link goes to a *map page* (and not the
email address link *4 LINES BELOW* the 'how to contact us' link!!!), and
hidden on the bottom line of the map page is an email address link.... Why
isn't any email link the first thing seen, or the link bookmarked to the
email link? IMHO, how to find us should get a map, how to contact us should
get an email address (or better, open an email!), or give a phone number,
and should be the first thing displayed....

Regards,

Tertius