RE: Site Review Please

by "John Woram" <jworam(at)msn.com>

 Date:  Thu, 4 Nov 1999 21:41:47 -0500
 To:  "mc" <djmegan(at)prodigy.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Renie,

I did a quick check of your http://www.artgarfunkel.com site on two PCs. I
didn't hear the audio when the page loaded, even after a long wait. I'm not
familiar with the <bgsound src="songs/grateful11.wav" loop="-1"> tag, so I
re-wrote the tag to conform with HTML standards, and then it played OK.
However, on an ancient Pentium-90 the page took forever to load while the
music was playing. No problem on a faster PC though. But maybe it would be
worth NOT having the audio play automatically, so visitors won't get slowed
down. You could have a "Listen" button on the page somewhere, so people who
wanted to hear it could do so though.

The opening JPEG file is about 25K, so I opened it in Adobe Photoshop and
re-saved it at 11K. There's a slight quality loss, but it's not severe. You
might be able to "split the difference" and get a smaller file that looks
just as good as the present one. Anything you can do like that to cut down
the load time will probably help.