Re: Redesign of Veterinary Hospital Site

by info(at)mtbytes.com

 Date:  Mon, 18 Feb 2002 14:10:08 -0500
 To:  "Tenley Shewmake" <ts(at)awebresource.com>,
"Hwg-Critique" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
First, I'll say that overall I like the layout and design.
If you were designing the site for me I would be happy, but
would want the following things changed.

Home page navigation.
Take the bottom navigation bar and put it at the top, under
Complete Health Care ...
Then remove the navigation buttons on the left.  I like the
bar much better than the buttons.

Move the navigation bar on all the pages to the top, just
under the bar with the paw prints (which I like).

On the /services.htm  page, put a "to top" link with each of
your subcategories.  For example, if I jump down to Dental
Care, I have to scroll back up because there isn't a "to
top" link at the top of that subcategory.

You need to work on the navigation in the Pet Care Info
section.  It seemed like it was easy to get lost in that
section.  On other pages when you used an <.ul> and <.li>
list of links, they brought me to places further down the
page.  But, in this section, they linked to other pages and
it wasn't always clear where I was.

On /newsletters/firstaid.htm,   I would recommend a trick I
like which is to put the <.a name=...> reference around the
<.hr> feature at the top of each topic.  For example, if you
jump to Bleeding,   you don't see the "to top" feature
because it has scrolled off the page because you have jumped
past it to Bleeding.

Something to think about, is for the links that take user
away from your site (like to Purina), you might want to make
that link a target-blank link, as in
<.a href="http://www.purina.com"
target="_blank">Purina<./a>.

Believe it or not, for all my picky comments, I actually
really like the site.  As I said, if you were designing it
for me I'd be pretty happy with it.  Overall, a nice job.

Netscape 4.5
Screen  1024 x 768