RE: the resolution fact

by "Webmaster at WebWham" <webmaster(at)webwham.com>

 Date:  Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:20:19 -0500
 To:  <killian(at)ilikethis.cz>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hmmm. some stat realization is in order here:

Looking at:
http://www.gvu.gatech.edu/user_surveys/survey-1998-04/graphs/technology/q90.
htm I'd hazard an educated guess and say that half or more of the monitors
in the "I don't know" category are set to 640x480.

And by the way.. the manufacturer has nothing to do with setting the screen
res. on a monitor that the OEM or Reseller supplies to a client (the techie
at the computer store usually does this if he is pre-configuring for the
client, or the client themselves when they get it home and install their own
OS).

The Windows 95 default out of the initial install (without user
intervention), is 640x480, and not 800x600.

The majority of clients that I have seen at such locations as a crown
utility in Ontario, have their monitors set to 640x480 (almost 60%) of them
(there are over 6,000 in one location alone).

The majority of clients still running on Pentium 90s and 133s are still
running their monitors at 640x480 256 colour, as they more than likely, also
own an inexpensive SVGA card. Only those that have obtained something with a
little more spunk, and have the inclination to dig around in Display
configuration, have bothered to change their set-up.

So, take half of the 21% who "don't know" (to be safe), and add that to the
16% who do run at 640x480 and you are now approaching real world numbers!

BTW, the survey at GVU polled 7,670 respondents through their browser
interface, while connected to the web. I've been to that many desktops and
more in the last 2 years alone, and I can tell you the stats are more like
60/40 split (640/800 respectively).

Gil Tennant
Webmaster at WebWham
http://www.webwham.com