Re: Critique Please

by "Steven Purvis" <spurv(at)ns.kedi.re.kr>

 Date:  Tue, 1 Dec 1998 11:02:38 +0900
 To:  <webmaster(at)aviationet.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Dear David,

(comments apply to IE5)

The overall site architecture is fine and the load speed is good (even from
Korea!).

A few improvements can be made in terms of visual presentation and page
layout. The aesthetic side of me enjoys your wallpaper, but its also very
busy which makes reading rather difficult (especially when you use black
text). This problem becomes more extreme in .../compare.htm where you use a
table with transparent borders. In general, tables should visually organize
the page layout and draw the eye to the text, but in this case it just
causes futher confusion, since the table blends into the wallpaper.

In short, the wallpaper becomes more important than the text itself. Not a
good thing.

You can try fading the wallpaper (perhaps even by 50%) or you can also use
tables with backgrounds (but be careful since this may result in extreme
contrasts). I might suggest keeping the backgound as is for the main page
and using a table with another background color, and then use a faded
version of the background for all the subpages. Anyways, just experiment and
see.

 Just some notes about your main logo (logo.gif). Although your load speed
is fast, you might want to pare down this image. 16.6 K is a bit extreme.
Also, like the wallpaper, the logo tends to dominate the page. This may be
fine for the main page, but not for every page. You might want to create a
smaller version of the logo which can sit in the top corner of each subpage.
Then the text (the really important stuff) can be brought up to the top of
the page. Even the logo on the main page could be reduced by 40-50%.

Also, I'm not sure about the general design and colour scheme used for the
logo. The logo looks a bit messy and it is not integrated into your site's
overall colour scheme. On the main page, you do use matching bullets to
visually link the text with the logo and you should make further efforts
like this. If you can create a more integrated colour scheme for the page
content, this would improve the overall presentation and would also balance
the content with the wallpapger.

Hope that helps. And best of luck

Steven Purvis