Re: bearcanyongalleries.com - please have a look

by "Craig Harding" <info(at)guidenet.net>

 Date:  Sat, 2 Aug 2003 10:46:59 -0400
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>,
"Doris Kyburz" <doris(at)kyburz.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Viewed with MSIE 6.0, Netscape 7.0, and Netscape 4.7 at 1280x1024 32bit.
WinXP ProSP1, T1, twin Athlon Bartons, gig of RAM

Doris, I thought the site looked very good except the store in Netscape 4.7,
as you mentioned, was a little messy. I wouldn't think many are still using
the older Netscape. Nice look and feel overall. Looked great in both MSIE
and Netscape 7.0.

The site didn't validate but it was all within pretty good bounds.. just
little stuff like missing alt tags on spacer gifs and things like that.

Like Pat, I agree, the huge white areas under the artist info is a bit
disturbing and a better way should be devised, IMO. I might consider putting
all the artists on a page with a pop-window opening to each individual with
a close-child button. For example look at the
http://www.guidenet.net/hosting.html and click on UNIX or Apache. You'd
probably want a little more width than I used.

One more little thing. I'd move the title up (in code view) to the first
meta item rather than the last. It helps the search bots index you a little
better. And, move meta=copyright down below description and keywords. I'd
especially do this on at least the index page.

All in all I thought it was a clean, professional looking Website. I thought
your graphic elements were nicely finished and fit together in a nice and
pleasing layout. I especially liked your drop shadows being diffused unlike
many who leave them sharp and annoying. Everything was easy to read with
these tired old eyes.

Truly, I wish you good luck in this endeavor.

Craig T. Harding MS
Association of Computing Machinery - ACM
Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers - IEEE
President - GuideNet.Net
(all outbound email scanned by Norton 2002)