RE: critique wanted

by "Carol Parent" <cbwd(at)means.net>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Jan 2003 05:06:29 -0600
 To:  <nathan(at)ncyoung.com>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Morning Nathan,

Win2000
IE6
DSL
21" Monitor
1152 x 864

Homepage:
The effect you have created is interesting.  The subtly raised 'blocks.'
They are crisp looking, clean and stand out.  Overall it is a very
pleasing site.  Put together nicely, reflects a person who takes the
time and thought to do things right.  Any comments I make below are
purely opinion.  They are not meant to take away from the obvious talent
and creativity you possess.  When I critique I look at a site from the
point of view of someone who stumbles in trying to find
information/services on the net.

I think I am just too much of a 'picture straightener.'  The blocks give
me the desire to 'put them together' or line them up or something.

The navigation text is very small which may be difficult for some ppl to
read.

The text is inconsistent.  Small case titles in some places, title case
in other places.  I am sure you are doing this on purpose as part of the
design but there isn't anything to indicate why some titles are small
case and others are title case.

I am on a 'big' monitor and the page goes on 'forever.'  You might want
to provide some 'to the top' links.

The Experience link on homepage takes you to Hire Me page.
It took me a sec or so to figure out 'Top' meant 'home'.
You may want to place Quickstart links on every page for ease of
navigation or keep the 'categories' links in the 'top spot' on each
page.  So ppl can get their 'bearings' as they wander around.

Because of the amount of information you have provided maybe indicate
'you are here' in the navigation area.  For example, when I click on
Technology, have the link itself within the navigation area go 'dead' or
bold it or something so I don't have to 'guess' at where I am at.  Can I
figure out where I am at with what you have provided, yes I can, (top of
page - You Are Here:Top->world, big) but remember, as a visitor looking
for information I don't want to 'figure' anything out, I want it handed
to me on a silver platter.

That's about it.  All little things really and given from a personal
point of view.

Happy New Year!

Carol Parent