Re: doctype in head?! [Re: A Gothic Sight, please critique]

by "Jim McAllister" <jmcallister(at)1stgrafix.com>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Apr 1998 16:44:29 -0500
 To:  "hwg-critique" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>,
<burtthemime(at)geocities.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original

-----Original Message-----
From: Burt the Mime <burtthemime(at)geocities.com>

>satya wrote:
>> > 2) Try to include the DOCTYPE in the <head> and go for Meta tags that
mention Goth.
>> isnt doctype supposed to be at the top, before even <html> ?
>
>If you setup a new page in Netscape Composer you get this code.
>I have always just substituted the DOCTYPE for the META tags, am I wrong.
>
>  [:-{) Burt

Burt I think you'll find in time that most GUI progs that can be used to
make pages produce erroneous code.  The best thing to do, if you are going
to use one, is to learn the HTML specs that you are writing for and then you
can go in with a text editor based prog. to "fix" any problems created with
programs such as Netscape or FrontPage etc.

Hope this helps.  Oh, and yes it would be wrong to place the DOCTYPE
anywhere but on the first line of the page.  This is a header line that
tells browsers how to handle the rest of the page.

cya,
Jim