Re: TE Site Critique Requsted

by "Pamela Shorey" <palema(at)galaxyinternet.net>

 Date:  Wed, 20 Mar 2002 17:27:19 -0500
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi,

> > White text on a black background is hard on the eyes.  Even by toning it
> > down to a light grey helps alot.
>
> really?  When I set the design I did a quick and dirty poll of about
> 25 people and I couldn't get a uniform answer on what was easier
> to read: black on white, white on black or light gray on black.
> Everyone had a different opinion on the matter.

I took a look and found the text hard to read, but for me the problem was
the font-family, not the color/background combination. Times New Roman and
other serif fonts are great in print, but much harder on a monitor. For my
eyes, the serif fonts seem kind of spotty, with the thin stroke nearly
invisible. I've noticed this on sites with black text on white, too. They
work ok in large sizes, such as an H1 or H2 though.

I'm on a PC/Win 98 and find Verdana and other sans-serif fonts very easy on
the eyes, even fairly small text.

If I may, I'd like to suggest one other thing for your site, which otherwise
looks great: that is to put subheads on your paragraphs, since there is a
lot of information there, and some folks may be looking for a certain thing,
rather than wanting to read all of it.

Best regards,

Pam Shorey