Re: critique please

by "Craig T. Harding" <info(at)guidenet.net>

 Date:  Sat, 5 Oct 2002 00:16:36 -0400
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>,
"Lorrie Eldridge" <lorrie652(at)icehouse.net>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Normally, I wouldn't mention this, but after looking around a bit, I came
away with the impression that you were pushing less technology, less graphic
impact, old browsers, and Macintosh equipment. That's all well and good....
and possibly you might have a point in some cases, but as a person looking
for a Web designer, I might shy away, thinking that you didn't know how to
use modern technology (CSS, DHTML, etc.) or that you were one of those silly
"Mac against PC" people. In fact that's one nice thing about the Web.. it's
fairly platform transparent.

Now, I'm not saying that you are these things, but that your copy leaves me
thinking that a prospective client might come away with that thought.

Secondly, in this day of IMPACT advertising I think your design, which I
understand is an attempt to appeal to all the politically correct ideals of
accessibility and whatnot, is somewhat bland and uninspiring compared to
many sites these days.

Finally, one thing many Mac designers just don't understand is that most PC
Web surfers surf with their browsers max screened. I think that the concept
running apps in less than full screen windows, as most mac users do, is more
sophisticated, but that's not the way most do it. Therefore, the % width
tables stretch all over the place at over 1280 res and better on large
monitors at full screen, leaving Web elements not placed where they were
designed.. for example, supposedly centered bottom menus and such as well as
huge width side bars and such. 17": to 19" monitors are now the standard
instead of the exception and 21 and over inch monitors are common. Full
screen surfing makes some sites look awfully screwy. Guess who might be an
unsophisticated surfer with a high end monitor??.. You guessed it, a
business owner with money to spend on a Website.

Anyway, good luck with your endeavor. I know that many of us have suffered
loss of business since our tragedy.

As usual, the above is purely my opinion and you can take it or leave it as
be.

Craig T. Harding
Association of Computing Machinery - ACM
Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers - IEEE
President - GuideNet.Net
(all outbound email scanned by Norton 2002)