Re: Resolution and font issues, PC

by "Henry John Boleszny" <henryb(at)seaeagle.aunz.com>

 Date:  Tue, 14 Nov 2000 16:03:50 +1000
 To:  "Matt Kreps" <matt(at)morningstarcomm.com>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Matt,

Yep, your site does display with a few problems.  I had a quick (_very
brief_) look at your code but couldn't really see anything wrong with it.

Using IE 5.5 on a PC (Win98)
- nav links on LHS are about 8 pt and the "Search" text box is too wide -
extends into the border graphic area
- RH column in middle has all text lined up on LHS.  Check your code for
this (not sure what's wrong - it looks OK <sigh>).  - Also, fourth cell
(bottom RHS) has graphic over the text (could be caused by the DIV).

Using NN 4.73 (same computer)
- same problem with LHS navigation table "Search" text box.
- screen scrolls in both directions - not a good idea since it can get
confusing (though this was not really resolved a few weeks ago in the
Techniques List).  This is present in IE as well but is not as noticeable.
- THE ALIGNMENT WAS OK IN THE TWO RHS CELLS!!!

This suggests that the specified table width (790) is involved.  I'm not
sure what you can do about it, since there are differences between browsers
and OS in rendering sites.  It is interesting, though, to note that the
lateral scroll is less in IE (where every word in the RHS cells are aligned
left) than in NN (where all text flows properly).

HTH,

Henry John Boleszny
  Business and Web Development Consultant
  ABN: 27 097 668 056

E-mail:            henryb(at)seaeagle.aunz.com
Postal:           1/9 Possum Court, Coombabah QLD 4216, Australia
Phone/Fax:   (07) 4429 2661