Re: www.olive-branch.org/ - Looking for a critique

by "Webmaster, Aurora Web Design" <webmaster(at)aurorawebdesign.com>

 Date:  Wed, 2 Feb 2000 22:04:16 -0900
 To:  "Toni Mancaruso" <alphabyt(at)earthlink.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I am not surprised you do not want to take credit for this
site!! Wow, I did not know it was possible to mix up 10?
sites together all with different themes, and call it a
site:-)

I assume that you only did the home page?? As for that, I am
not crazy about the green stripe on the buttons that is so
different from the background. The bordered frame is much
too heavy, I would make it invisible. (border=0) I assume
you already know that your scrolling words (which are much
to big even on my high res screen) at top will not scroll in
NS. I do like the logo (olive branch) and if I were you I
would be looking for backgrounds and buttons that would go
well with that. You might want to play with the Theme
designer to make your own theme. (it is on CD) I like your
background (without the table borders), but it does not
really go well with the logo. As for the site in general, I
think you may want to sit down and storyboard the whole site
and figure out how to tie it all together. When I was deep
in site, I found I could not return to the index page
without stepping through several other "sites." Since you
have Frontpage, you might want to apply a border at top with
logo and horizontal nav bar to link major divisions of site,
then use a left border for vertical nav bar for child links
within each major division.
Another thing you might consider is using subwebs, since
each of your major pages appears to be a whole site in its
own right - if each of them were in a folder by itself, they
could each have their own index.htm, but be sure you include
a link to your main page, since if it is set up the way I
mention, their "home" page will be THEIR index.htm.
If this is confusing, you might want to lurk in the
"microsoft.public.frontpage.client" newsgroup.

Now that I think on it, you may want to move your links to
those other "sites" to a link page, and make your buttons on
home page go to just those pages that are about your church.
That way you can make it clear that when they click on them
they are going to a totally different site, and the
different appearance will not matter.

A few minor items: On general.htm, the background was
repeating on my large screen. The button that says OBCA is
not very descriptive for those not in the know. Have fun, it
looks like you have your work cut out for you!
Ann
PS, I don't usually like animations that go on and on, but I
kind of like your bullets, and they are not garish enough to
bother (me anyway). Unfortunately, you may need to choose -
they go well with your background, but not the logo.