Re: Non-Profit, Women's Site

by "Natalie Verge" <nsv(at)mb.sympatico.ca>

 Date:  Sun, 11 Apr 1999 20:35:00 -0500
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
You have a good start here. I like the graphics theme, but you might get
some concern that since this is a page (as I understand) about employment
options, a more professional look might suited to the site.

I like the background graphic, but I think the lacy part extends too far
from the left. It will interfere with any text or graphics placed over top
of it, so if you shift everything else to the right of the text, you'll be
losing about 200 pixels of your window for useful content. OK if you're at
1024 x 768, but at 600 x 480, that's a third of your window! I would lose
the solid "linen" part of the graphic at the left, about 100 pixels' worth,
and just have the lacy part flush left.

Your buttons are OK, but I think you've reduced the colours in them too
much, as they look jagged, like they weren't anti-aliased. Also, the drop
shadows don't blend well into your background, but that might be helped by
creating the graphics on the intended background colour, and then making
that transparent, instead of the grey which is the transparent colour now. I
also noticed that you used the same size graphic throughout, but where you
wanted a bigger sized button, you just used the height and width attributes
to change the size. This makes for stretched, distorted buttons; you should
make another set of the appropriate size. One other note on the buttons -
the mouseover set that is kind of a yellowish colour I found visually
unappealing - they had a greeny tinge that didn't really go with the peach
colours used for the rest of the graphics.

Finally, the phone numbers on the index page break in the middle to a new
line. This would probably be because the width of the table cell, 100
pixels, is not wide enough. People are used to seeing phone numbers all on
one line, so I would either widen the cell, or reduce the size of the print
so it all fits on one line.

Anyway, overall it looks really pretty. Good luck!
--
Natalie Verge
Talk to me:  mailto:nsv(at)mb.sympatico.ca