Re: Need help with critique

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Sat, 2 Jan 1999 02:34:50 -0500
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>This is my commerical web hosting page and I decided to use
>frames. Please take a look at it and tell my the basics, how fast
>it loads, etc. (www.outpostatlantis.com)

Hi Dave:

The site loaded in 35 seconds using a 28.8 modem

My suggestions for improving the site design are:

1. In the navigation bar frame, put a dark-colored bgcolor attribute in the
body tag.  Right now, it is hard to read the yellow text until your
background graphic fully loads.  By putting in a dark-colored bgcolor
attribute, users can start reading the text immediately while the graphics
load.

2.  Place your navigation images ("web services," "order," "members," etc.)
into a table and space them out more than they are now, so that it's easier
to discern where one option begins and another ends.

3.  Experiment with different standard PC/Mac fonts.  For example, most
people have "Arial" so you might want to try a CSS font style or <font
face="fontname"> attribute to spice up the main frame.

4.  Make the targets of the links in the navigation frame open up in the
main body frame.  Right now they are opening up over top the whole site,
which makes it difficult to navigate and defeats the purpose of having a
framed site.

Take care,

Mike
http://w3.one.net/~lonewolf/