Re: request for site review

by "Jayne" <Jayne(at)skyline-design.com>

 Date:  Wed, 1 Jan 2003 10:29:08 -0800
 To:  <JGSchwim(at)aol.com>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Hi Joan,
I'm using IE 6 on a DSL connection.
The site loaded very fast. That said, here are my comments. JMHO ---

I can tell you put a lot of work into this page.
First, lets deal with the design. I think there is way too much happening on
the main page. One suggestion would be to make an additional category for
the class schedule and sign-up. The calendar itself is hard to read as well
as understand.You have a lot of different font sizes going on here as well
as Bolds and Italics. I think this only adds to the confusing readability.
The signup sheet would be better served by drop down menus.

The top logo appears a bit blurry and with a little work, you could refine
the brass look for the text your after. The buttons under it are a little
large and the Italic  sans serif font does not meld with the rest of the
site. Also, I think the buttons are too close to the logo. An additional
button for Class schedule would also help even out the alignment.

The color scheme is not bad, although I would rethink the bright yellow for
the button text.

Main Content: Here, I'm a bit confused. Is this a site for model trains, or
paint jobs for model trains or a model train club? What does Limited
availability mean?
Welcome to the Home Page sounds funny. I already know I'm on the home page.
Use the buttons above, I would rethink that to something like links or menu
above.
I would use bottom links as well as the top buttons for navigation.

Are you required to put the W3C logos at the bottom of the page? If not, I'd
lose these.
Overall you seem to have a good grasp of CSS and HTML. I would check out
other sites for visual content presentation.

Hope this helps -
Best Regards,
Jayne
Skyline Design