Re: Commercial Splash

by "Kevin Conroy" <webmaster(at)prolist.com>

 Date:  Mon, 8 Feb 1999 19:31:19 -0500
 To:  "Nicolo Raffo" <raffo(at)ix.netcom.com>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
*IE 4.01, Windows 98, 17" monitor, 1024x768, True Color (32 bit), 28.8
connection*

Nicolo,
    I must say, I am very impressed with your creative and effective (having
both of those qualities escapes the grasp of many webpages) use of
JavaScript for your splash page. I have just two minor grips with it,
though:
        (1)- When the page first loads, the colors of Cameron Rods image
that is siting on the center of the screen are too similar to the colors in
the background. As the background darkens, I can read the image, but not
until then. Maybe that's what you want, but my first reaction was "What in
the world does that image say and I'm annoyed that I can't read it!" You may
want to consider giving the text in the background some lighter colors so
that the center image stands out more. Just an idea.
        (2)- Also, you have to remember that you need to gear your page
towards the technologically unenlightened. In other words, either have the
splash page automatically forward the user when the background is dark or
put the text "Click here to continue" on the center image. In a fit of
stupidity, I sat there looking at the screen for 30 seconds waiting for
something to happen, not realizing I had to click on the image to go
forward. In fact, you may want to do both.

Overall, I like your site a great deal. The design is clean, the images are
effective and load quickly, and you have nice content. My one suggestion to
the main site would be to have the mouse over images in the navigation bar
turn to the light green color rather than the red. (I think it will work
with the overall color scheme better than the red does.) Also, you may want
to try to get some pictures of the different rods up on the page. That way
customers can see what they're ordering. Just a thought.

Good luck!

-- Kevin Conroy
www.prolist.com
www.healthyhabits.com