Re: Please Critique my site.

by "Peter Newton" <c-newton(at)ihug.co.nz>

 Date:  Fri, 2 Jul 1999 23:38:41 +1200
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

>Hello Elias

 Thanks very much for taking the time out to review my site.

I'm puzzled about the virtualave adds as it should simply put 1 banner add
on the screen. However even then its not appropriate because I'm focusing on
regionalised adds so I'll have to use my other site because unfortunately
they don't offer a "pay for" service.

The right hand window you mentioned by the way is to help offscreen links to
put banner adds on  to attract attention. I will be rotating the list in
groups of 20 selected on a referal basis its a bit complicated but hopefully
will give everyone a fair exposure.

The javascript error you got was because the links onmouseover routine
refers to objects on the map which don't exist until the map has loaded. The
only way out is to FORCE the map to load 1st.

Any ideas on how that can be done?

I read your message briefly before heading off to work and when you said
new window I had horrible visions that I had "framed" the links.  I was very
relieved to realise you meant using _blank instead of _top. Thats a good
point of view I am so used to using the back button but if they click on the
'X' they will lose their return to the site. Yep I'de better implement that
one.

Finally the frames -  well origionally I had the map and links together on
the one page but when I implemented the onmouseover routines to highlight
the maps I found that I had to use pixel offsets for the maps to overlay
correctly. Unfortunately when the site is put into a window and shrunk a bit
the map obviously refuses to move and it looked dismal. Putting it into a
frame meant that I could use a pixel offset from that frame and the frame
itself would shrink with the window and it looked much better but left me
with quite a lot of frames.

Well I'm feeling better already I'll get onto that window adjustement.

Thanks
Peter Newton

Nice Image Maps, there was a Java error, but I did not bother to examine it.