Re: the resolution fact

by "Mike Taylor" <lonewolf(at)one.net>

 Date:  Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:23:24 -0500
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

-----Original Message-----
From: killian jenkins <killian(at)ilikethis.cz>
To: hwg-critique(at)hwg.org <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
Date: Wednesday, January 27, 1999 8:33 PM
Subject: the resolution fact

<snip>

>that less than 15% of computer owners alive use that resolution, i say
>don't worry about it when entertaining a design strategy (in the Czech
>Republic that number goes down to under 3%).

15% is a pretty accurate number.  I've got a log script that checks the
resolutions of visitors to one of my sites, and the total number of 640 x
480 users is 13.34%, based on a visitor base of 6,914 users in a one month
time period.

However, keep in mind this represents stats of users visiting a personal
site, not a business site.  People who browse personal sites (and this is
subjective, of course) tend to be more Net savvy than the typical employee
surfing at work.   My experience working for a large systems integrator
suggests that a lot of the employees are surfing the Net at bare-minimum
resolutions and color settings, some by choice, others out of ignorance and
still others whose systems can't handle anything else (some department
budgets are paper-thin).

So, there's still a need to keep 640 x 480 users in mind, unfortunately.  As
new PC's become more advanced, I hope to see such resolutions disappear.
Now if only we could make WebTV do the same....

Mike
http://w3.one.net/~lonewolf