Re: Critique Commercial Site

by "Katsuey(at)katsuey.com" <katsuey(at)katsuey.com>

 Date:  Fri, 3 Dec 1999 12:43:47 -0600
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> I would like some feedback for a new commercial site that is
soon to be
> launched.  I would appreciate the usual stuff, load time,
navagation, screen
> resolution, browser and any suggestions you might have.
> The URL is http://www.val-URL-able-coupons.com/

Sandy,

I like your banner even though it's a bit different.  In this
case "different" is good.  One comment, I'd reduce the white
shadow around it, it detracts from the banner.

You are missing alt tags on your images on the home page.  Drop
shadows are a little heavy on the pink bars.

That green banner at the bottom is totally hideous.  If you have
to have it, can you recolor it to something complimentary to your
site?

Layout on the site is pretty good with the exception of the
bottom of the home page.  From the green banner on, everything
looks scattered and confused.

Your home page black graphic has a few "muffs" in it in the upper
right corner.

Since the navigation is at the bottom (not within view with out
scrolling) if feels like one should be about to click on those
images and go somewhere.  I thing you need to consider doing
this, or have a nice drop down menu in that first screen area.

On your samples page the copyright on the coupons sort of
override the coupons and detract from otherwise nice looking
coupons.  Perhaps you could use a watermark on each instead and
then just a disclaimer/copyright message at the bottom.

I also feel like I'm suddenly being screamed at with that large
font white text.  I thing you can figure out another way to get
people to read it and yet not detract from the page. I'd use less
of those pink bars on the coupon page.  They started to bug me.

Overall, you have a very nice design, good "different" colors
that go well together, nicely framed and very nice looking
coupons.

While I've listed a lot of "fixes", please understand that in a
critique, I'm more apt to list what is wrong than what is right,
so don't feel that there is more wrong than right.  Overall it's
a nice site.
Katsuey's Legal Links
http://www.katsuey.com
KatsueyDesignWorks, a Full Service Web Design Company
http://www.katsuey.com/Designworks