Re: critique requested

by "Comharsa" <comharsa(at)clara.net>

 Date:  Wed, 2 Feb 2000 02:27:11 -0000
 To:  "hwg-critique" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> >Brian wrote:
>
>      <snip>
> >Also the date showed the year as 100. This is a getYear() problem between
> IE and NS
>      </snip>
>
> Sorry your wrong Brian the getYear() property is supported by IE 3.0 and
NS
> 2.0  the problem is many JS writers like to only concentrate on one
browser
> to make things simple ie: Matt's script using a format specific to IE. The
> script I've written below will work for IE 3.0 thru IE 5.0 and NS 2.0 thru
> 4.7 I haven't checked it out on the NS 5.0 beta but there should be no
> problems. If anyone has NS 5.0 beta and the script doesn't work please let
> me know.

Sorry, I'm not. The problem is that IE and NS now do different things with
the getYear() function, as I said. I never said that either of them didn't
support it, they just implement it in different ways. This is why the
getFullYear() function was introduced but it is for JS 1.3 capable browsers
only.

I also have Dreamweaver but there is no need for such a complicated script,
a single line added to the script makes it work.

Brian
comharsa(at)clara.net