Re: white space

by "Mark Pinkston" <markpinkston(at)proaxis.com>

 Date:  Thu, 2 Sep 1999 11:25:41 -0700
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I have a client that wants his web pages uniform with white space.  =
>In other words he wants one space between words and two spaces after a =
>period and before the next sentence starts.  My understanding has been =
>that this is browser dependent and shows up different in each browser.  =
>Is there a code I could use that would create a uniform space between =
>words and sentences?
>The site: http://www.ipganow.com/revtexas.html

Hi Bill,

I can't think of any easy way to do it, although I can think of several hard
ways. I would have a discussion with him on the difference between printed
media and the Web, as it regards what the viewer sees. If you end up just
having to do it, here are some ideas, in order of my preference:
1. After each period, use &#160;&#160;
2. Use the <PRE> tag.
3. Make a gif of the text.
4. Plead one more time not to do it :)

HTH,
Mark
My e-mail - mailto:markpinkston(at)proaxis.com
My Web site - http://www.proaxis.com/~markpinkston/
Member of the HTML Writers Guild - http://www.hwg.org/
Support Web Standards NOW! - http://www.webstandards.org/
Design sites for accessibility - http://www.w3.org/WAI/