Re: Business (?) Site Critique

by "Ryan Fischer" <fischer(at)email.unc.edu>

 Date:  Sat, 27 Jun 1998 15:38:22 -0400
 To:  "Craig T. Harding" <guide(at)ao.net>,
<LaurieBlu2(at)aol.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Craig wrote:
>Either compose in a 600 pixel wide table[...]

Actually, if you *must* specify a WIDTH for TABLE, it would best be a
percentage.  If you specify an absolute width (remembering that it is still
only a suggested width), for higher-resolution monitors there will be a lot
of whitespace to the right, left, or on either side of the TABLE, depending
on the alignment of the TABLE, usually specified by DIV, CENTER, or
(preferably) a style sheet.

>4. All your images need alt tags and several need size tags. Leaving
>this out results in long perceived load times on an already bloated page
>and the inability of people with images off to navigate.

Actually, the only real problem with not specifying HEIGHT and WIDTH is
browsers are unsure of the size of the image and they have to fill the
appropriate space in as the image is received, which causes elements on the
page to jump around.

>6. You page didn't have a doctype making it hard to validate. Though I'm
>not picky about validation, it would certainly help you clean up all the
coding mistakes.

In case she didn't know: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0
Transitional//EN">

>6. Lose the horizontal rules. They are passe for modern typography.
>Separate your paragraphs with indents and ideas with vertical space. HRs
are not good.

Horizontal rules are quite appropriate for transitions.  But I see the above
is your opinion, so I won't say anything else on the matter right now.

>Webring - Poorly designed web sites linked by a common thread.
>Web Awards - See Webring

LOL!  Well, HTH!  ;-)

-Ryan Fischer
ICQ UIN - 595003