Re: Commercial Critique (HolmComp.net)

by "Patrick McElhaney" <webmaster(at)htmltips.com>

 Date:  Wed, 6 Jan 1999 11:10:35 +0200
 To:  "John Holman" <jholman(at)HolmComp.net>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
> http://www.HolmComp.net

>What browser, resolution, # of colors, OS, connection speed?  Any other
>pertinent info is very welcome!!! :)

800x600 High Color
IE 4.0 / Win 98
38.4

The interface is certainly interesting, but only because it's different. I
wasn't
able to figure out what the point of all the squares on the front door are.
I'm
assuming there isn't really one.

My next stop is the "about us" page. I don't really like "about us" pages
because "about us" is kind of a cliche, and makes the web site look
like it came from a cookie-cutter. Normally, I prefer to just get right
into things, and put all the "about us" information on the home page.
Why bother with an extra click?

I wasn't impressed by the GIF-page thing. It took me 2-3 minutes to
get through all of the pages. I can't skim or skip around, and I can't
print it. Is this really the "simplest and most economical way to
get your point across?"

I'm onto interfaces now, waiting for Windows to come up. Ahh, here
it is. Nice use of dHTML. I'm still not completely clear what it is
you can do for me, though.

If I were you, I would seriously consider a more traditional interface
and more content.

Patrick
HTMLTips.com