Re: Critique of Proposed Web Design and Hosting Site

by "Ben Z. Tels" <optimusb(at)stack.nl>

 Date:  Tue, 30 Dec 1997 02:47:00 +0100
 To:  "Phillip M. Strickland" <pstrickland(at)coastalnet.com>,
<hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I would like for you to check the general feel of the site.  Is it too
>boring?  I tried to make it straight to the point and without a bunch of
>graphics.  I plan to re-design the splash page often incorporating other
>ideas into the site, but just want to get it up and running for now.

Not too boring. Loads like a charm and it's to the point, which I like in a
business. Stick with this idea.

>Anyone got any suggestions for a banner on the splash page, the one there
is
>just a generic one?

Yes; make it readable. This one is not. The letters are out of focus and too
close together. Plus the blue is illegible on the burgundy.

>The "Client", "Personal", "Portfolio", "Rates" and "Links" pages aren't
>complete but the others are.  Let me know how it looks and any  suggestions
>you may have.  Thanks in advance for your time!

For your links to clients pages, etc, make the target either _top or even
better _blank. Don't make it _self, that's very irritating if the target
ALSO uses frames.
Plus it's irritating in general to be locked in someone else's site.

As a general bit of advice, if you really want to be professional, code in
correct HTML. That includes following the HTML 4 rules and using stylesheets
as a main stylistic method, stylistic tags second. And include a DTD
reference or version information, preferably the HTML 4 STRICT DTD
(<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/strict.dtd">)

Other than that, fine, nice site.

Ben Z. Tels
optimusb(at)stack.nl
http://www.stack.nl/~optimusb/
UIN 2474460

"The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle
forever."
                                         --Tsiolkovsky