Re: Critique of my photography site.

by "Jesse Duley" <jesse(at)uk2.net>

 Date:  Tue, 28 Sep 1999 09:18:16 +0100
 To:  <DScha97041(at)aol.com>
 Cc:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I think that the load time in your gallery is a bit too long.  You'll find
that this is because although you have used thumbnails, what you are
actually doing is loading the full size image into a smaller space, so the
browser still has to download the full sized image.  Most image editing
software will create thumbnails, and you can reduce your file size from
around 30KB to a mere 1 or 2KB, and you can link the thumbnail to the
full-sized image should the viewer choose to download it (I recommend
splashing your copyright info all over the full-sized image though!!).  You
could also use the "lowsrc" attribute in the "img" tag, where you can
specify the source of an extremely low resolution version of your image
which takes virtually no time to load, and allows the viewer to preview
images before downloading everything in all its glory - this works in
Netscape and perhaps some other browsers (unsure of which).

One other thing is the size of your font - if you weren't blind before then
you will be after trying to read that!  People can't read off a screen the
same way that they can read off a page, so text on the web needs to be that
much larger.

Hope some of this helps, I loved the photography by the way.

Jess