Re: site review

by "Mike Eovino" <meovino(at)erols.com>

 Date:  Fri, 2 Jul 1999 08:50:15 -0400
 To:  "Rachel" <Pray(at)netnitco.net>,
"HWG Critique List" <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>To me, and this is purely my opinion, these type things have become a
>stigma for not so great sites. As an example, have you ever clicked on
>an award and seen the quality, or lack thereof, of the site that issued
>the award?

I think it depends upon the site.  Obviously, IBM, Red Hat, Microsoft and
any other corporate site is going to avoid webrings.  They don't need to do
anything to drive traffic to their site.  I don't use such things with my
company's site.  However, for sites of a more general interest, I do think
they add some value.  For example, I'm very interested in music, and I have
found great sites through webrings.  But these sites are definitely not of a
corporate nature, and they need anything that will drive traffic to them.
One thing I always make sure of, however, is that any time I link to a page
outside of my site, I open that page in a new window.  That way, even if
they go off and surf somewhere else for a while, my page is still waiting
quietly for them to return.

As for awards, I think they're like hit counters.  Years ago, people were
impressed by them, just like they were impressed by hit counters.  Now they
know that anyone can go out and get some awards pretty quickly, just like
they can monkey with a hit counter.

Just my $0.02

Mike Eovino
Webmaster