Re:

by "Eastwind Design" <ewdg(at)ewdg.com>

 Date:  Sat, 10 Jul 1999 16:18:02 -0700
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
AAARRRGGHH!!!!  You've taken me back to LawInfo days.  I had to design four
sites a day along the lines of what you have here (small firm/non-sales web
sites).  This is right about what I used to do.  This site is the ideal
small service firm site, with only a few things I can comment on.  Some of
these things seem very "client request"ish, so forgive me if they are.

1.  The doctor image might work on a personal page, but seems pretty
unprofessional and unrelated to the site.  It looks client-requested, so...

2.  The "S & B E-mail" thing also seems very client-requested.  It's pretty
dang bizarre and doesn't really seem to fit on this site.  I guess they're
looking at it as a way to get people back and remember their firm.  It's
just wierd is all.

3.  Personally, I'm not a big fan of guestbooks, but a lot of people like
them.  A guestbook instantly makes a business look small.  If you're going
to have one, though, I suggest a little more emphasis be put on the "add"
feature.  Just a linking word in a sentence might have *some* people
hopelessly searching for a big "Add" button.

4.  "Networking" might do a little better being titled "Message Board".

5.  A:link/active/visited was not used on the "Services" page, and is
therefore inconsistent with the rest of the site.

6.  Maybe suggest that "S & B E-mail" be dropped, and change "Contact Us" to
"E-mail".  Leave the current layout the same, though ("Home" and "E-mail"
links separated from other links).

Outside that, the site has all the information one would need to know.  The
information is very easy to access, and the site is very fast.  There
usually isn't a lot of interest in a small firm site, so load time is
EXTREMELY important.  People want to get in and out of these sites pretty
quickly, but without missing any information.  I'd say with what you have,
and maybe some of the suggestions above, you'd have the ideal small firm web
site.

- Steve