Re: http://www.webwham.com

by "Mary Henderson" <mary(at)phibian.com>

 Date:  Tue, 4 Aug 1998 23:45:51 -0400
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original
Personally, I feel that the horizontal scroll at 640x480 is irrelevant, as
long as no information is hidden from the user (ie no text cut off, etc).
On my site, there is a title bar which stretches across the entire screen at
1024x768 because I feel it gives better continuity at all resolutions.
Otherwise, it is painfully obvious to those of us with higher resolutions
(and in general more aware of picky details like this) that the site is
mainly designed for a smaller screen.  In an age where 800x600 is very
standard, and the standard increasing all the time (monitors ARE getting
bigger), I don't think the average user is going to care if there is a
horizontal scroll bar.  It has been our experience that most users,
especially those still using 640x480, are rather blind to their internet
surroundings anyway.

That said, if it is obvious that you have to scroll to get all the
information off the page, it was badly designed... All in my opinion of
course...

Mary Henderson
mary(at)phibian.com