Re: Site critique

by "David Rapp" <David(at)rappd.freeserve.co.uk>

 Date:  Sat, 10 Jul 1999 22:46:02 +0100
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>
  todo: View Thread, Original

> Argh. No! That is not the idea of the web. What will you do if one > has
not that font?

You can either provide it for download (make sure the author will let you
first) or use images. Using CSS you can also specify a font followed by
others in an attempt to find one on the users system. Or you can specify a
'Font Family' (I think thats what it's called), like Serif, Fantasy etc.

> ?

Eye-Candy never hurts a site, also a good looking logo will do a lot to
convince people to use your service along with a good looking and consistent
site.

>> You ought to have a form rather than just an email for contact.

> I hate forms, because then you allways have to go to that page (the
> WWW) before being able to contact.

I've got into the habit of providing both, a mailto: link followed up by a
Form both of which allow for all users. They can choose to use the E-Mail
link or the form. But forms to mail can be a very usefull tool. Especially
if you want only certain mail at a certain address. You can either provide a
generic form or a form per address each of which can be tailored to gain
information concerning that item. Also I think I've heard (on an hwg list)
that some browsers have difficulty processing the mailto: link option.
Consequently it won't always work.

David Rapp

'Searching for a Sig'