Re: Site Critique: http://www.mangodigital.com

by "Natalie Verge" <nsv(at)mb.sympatico.ca>

 Date:  Sat, 15 May 1999 10:01:49 -0500
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>,
"John Rozzo" <john(at)mangodigital.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
I tried the non-shockwave version of casho.com; I couldn't seem to get
further than the splash page. The animated graphic that gave the options for
Spanish & English, and where it said continue, would sometimes give me the
little "link" pointer, other times it was just an arrow. It wouldn't respond
to my clicks. Was I doing something wrong? Also, when I chose the
non-shockwave option on the first page, I didn't expect on the third page to
be informed that I still required Flash. Is that why I couldn't navigate any
further? On the second page, the one with instructions ( I can translate
that much! ;-)  ) does it say that I absolutely need shockwave? I can't
tell, cause I can't read Spanish - you should provide this info in English
too.

It does appear that you require a lot from your users - I haven't got around
to re-installing Shockwave after my computer crashed, and while I do have
Netscape, I prefer to use IE. You should not demand so much customization
from people who come to your site - by all means, design for the
configuration you prefer, but don't expect people to spend time downloading
just to see your site at its optimum. They will more likely just look for
another company. For this reason, you should provide options for viewing.

BTW, the girl in the splash animation looks a lot like Elizabeth Hurley. Is
that just my imagination? Or do you actually have permission to use her
likeness? Or is it some other babe entirely? Either way, speaking as a
potential female client might feel, it kinda raised my eyebrows to be
confronted with cheesecake on a professional site...

Mango digital...
Interesting colours - certainly bold; this jury is still out though, on
whether I actually like them. One thing I would change, however, is the
combination of Spanish & English on one page. I would tend to make two
separate pages and let people choose their option at the beginning. On the
nav frame, I get a scroll bar because the page in the frame is just a teeny
bit too long. If you only presented the options in one language, it would be
short enough to fit, and you could have a button to the other language
version site if people really wanted to switch between languages. But the
scroll bar ( on and 800x600 browser, anyway) would be gone.

HTH,
--
Natalie Verge
Talk to me: nsv(at)mb.sympatico.ca