Re: Critique for http://helius.carroll.com/p/kdail

by "bmccune" <bmccune(at)ix.netcom.com>

 Date:  Sat, 6 Jun 1998 06:52:25 -0500
 To:  <hwg-critique(at)hwg.org>,
"Kevin Dail" <kdail(at)carroll.com>
  todo: View Thread, Original
>I am trying to get more business-like and less home-page-like. I have
>dropped the counter, the webrings and the dark backgrounds. I think it
>looks pretty clean.
>Please tell me about download time, layout, quality, content and any
>opinions or suggestions. Oh, and what you used to visit:)
>Thanks for your time.
>Kevin John Dail
>Quality Images and Trivia Challenge at:
>http://helius.carroll.com/p/kdail

Hello Kevin,

        Just a couple notes of possible interest to you that I seen that
could possibly help in the never ending endeavor of Up Dating <G>..

        Load time this way was a little slow but with the led graphic the
way it is not sure if it was really all to slow or not so will leave that up
to more responses.

        Do however feel the text is not right as it takes the whole screen
and really is not much there to need the entire screen. So what would be a
fix? A couple of approaches of which one could be us of a Table set up or a
easier way might be to us <blockqoute>. That would put all in the middle,
lessen the size and might give it a whole new feel.

        Another thing I felt was a little off was the in text links and just
a click below the same links. If it where a huge text that might be a good
thing but small text and the same links below seemed a little like overkill.

        One last thing, in looking at the code and looking at your Metas you
have done the thing most common in placement of your keywords that most
overlook and in the title. A lot of the engines look at the title of the
site for indexing and/or keywords. Most even look for the 1st lines in the
site to add to the sites description. They also look for the keywords used
in the metas in the first few lines of the doc. So with this in mind here is
the things I see incorrect or you are not using to the best of its
abilities:

                1) You have used a Small <title>, be descriptive of the
site, do not just name it.  But do not get to carried away in length, about
10-15 words.

                 2) You used single keywords, if I did a search for
freelance I MIGHT get you on about 150,000 or so <G> but if I did a search
for  freelance graphics designer I could narrow that to maybe 50,000 or so.
Us Multiple Keywords of your site and do not add the comma until done <Meta
name="keywords" content="graphics designer, PhotoShop usage, professional
photographer, etc......">  Just put YOUR keywords in as you would do if YOU
where doing a search. But remember Case is sensitive on SOME search engines,
rule of thumb, keep them all in small caps.

                 3) For those of us and it is most  of us that use a graphic
at the head we do not use it to the Search Engines benefit. The Alt Tag,
again engines search for the common words in repetitiveness to rank a site
(at least the majors). So IF you make your Alt tag ALSO a description it
simulates receptiveness. But change it slightly as to much can get you off a
engine, spamming the words. But it is a tool to use, instead of just your
name and page name in the 1st image put a page description using your
keywords to some extent as in

<alt="digital image graphic design done professionally  with PhotoShop.
photos copyright by kevin john dail">

        Nothing is repeated, nothing is spamed, nothing unrealistic but IS
keyworded to reflect and repeat your metas.. Just helps a little if a engine
sees the keywords more than once on the top part of your page. Some will
even use it as the title so be careful and be correct.

    Looks professional here, just needs a few twiks... Hope this long winded
note helps.

Ben

IE 4.0, IE 4.1, NS 3.1
233mhz
56k Motorola
72MB
640x480

Dragon Works Web Design
E-Mail: dragonwk(at)ix.netcom.com
Ben McCune
E-Mail: bmccune(at)ix.netcom.com
ICQ - 9916649
WebMaster <---- "A Title used by many practiced by few"
"Atop the Dragon's Wings he rode, Atop those sturdy wings of Old"